Are you tired of litter? Get some friends, co-workers, civic club members, neighbors, business associates, church goers, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters or any group together and make a difference!
The 2020 Clean-up Weekends are scheduled as follows:
- April 18 & 19, 2020 – Canceled
- July 18 & 19, 2020
- September 26 & 27, 2020
Did you know?
- One (1) mile of an average highway contains about 16,000 pieces of litter.
- A fire starts every 12 minutes due to littered cigarette butts and matches.
- It takes 15 years for a cigarette filter to decompose, 20 years for a Styrofoam cup and 100 years for a soda can.
What is Adopt-A-County Road?
The goal is to keep Washtenaw County roadsides attractive for residents and visitors. Participants chose a stretch of roadway (paved, county primary roads only) they would like to see kept clean and adopt it!
What is required to participate?
Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) requires only a small commitment from you including:
- Adopt at least a two mile section of roadway.
- Schedule three clean ups a year.
- Follow all safety guidelines & procedures.
- Notify WCRC when you have completed a clean up.
How does your group benefit by participating?
Aside from the pride you will feel from helping your community, two road signs will be installed on the adopted road publicizing your organization name. WCRC will also provide a one time supply of bags, and orange safety vests.
Who can participate?
Any group with seven or more persons. Group participants must be a minimum of 12 years old unless otherwise approved. Participants under the age of 18 years old must have adult supervision at a rate of 1 adult to every 3 children.
How are the roads assigned?
Your group requests a specific road segment on your application and on a first come/first serve basis WCRC will attempt to match your preference on a first come/first serve basis.
Why do you need a permit?
The permit helps track which roads have been adopted. It is also provides documentation to us that all groups have received the required safety information, provided by WCRC, to make your clean up as safe as possible.
How much does it cost to Adopt-A-County Road?
There is no fee. WCRC will supply an initial set of Adopt-A-County Road signs, safety vests, and bags.