Primary/Local Road Damage Claim

If you are seeking compensatory damages for vehicle damage due to a defective road condition or WCRC employee conduct, we urge you to contact your own insurance company to see if you have applicable coverage before filing a claim with the Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC).

Claims filed with WCRC are decided on a case-by-case basis by our insurance carrier. WCRC staff has no authority to independently settle any claims.

Our third-party administrator, Sedgwick, usually processes claims within 30 days after they have been received, although more time may be required to complete an investigation depending on the circumstances. Only Sedgwick can advise on the status of your claim once it has been submitted.

Be advised the majority of road defect claims are denied under governmental immunity laws.

How to file a claim:

If you believe your vehicle sustained damages on a Washtenaw County primary or local road due to a defective road condition or WCRC employee conduct, you can file a claim for damages by following the steps below:

  1. If you have not already done so, please report the road defect online or by phone (734) 761-1500. (The incident must have occurred on a roadway under WCRC’s jurisdiction. If unsure, please review the county road certification maps.)
  2. Complete a claims form. Fill the form out completely to avoid delays in processing. Click here for the fillable PDF claim form. Please call the main office at (734) 761-1500 to receive a printed copy.
  3. Return completed claim form (with any attachments) to our Administrative Office at 555 N. Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 or submit it electronically to [email protected].
Claim Packet

Damage Claims on City/Village Roadways in Washtenaw County

If your vehicle sustained damage on a road outside of WCRC’s jurisdiction, you will need to file a claim with the agency with jurisdiction over the road.

Cities and villages within Washtenaw County are responsible for the maintenance of roads within their respective city and village limits. If you would like to report a road defect or file a damage claim in any of the cities or villages within Washtenaw County, please contact the city or village directly.

Municipality / Phone Number

  • City of Ann Arbor – (734) 794-6310
  • City of Chelsea – (734) 475-1771
  • City of Milan – (734) 439-1501
  • City of Saline – (734) 429-4907
  • City of Ypsilanti – (734) 483-1100
  • City of Dexter – (734) 426-8303
  • Village of Manchester – (734) 428-7877

Damage Claims on MDOT Roadways in Washtenaw County

If your vehicle sustained damage on a highway in Washtenaw County (I-94, US-23, US-12 [Michigan Avenue], M-14, M-52, etc.) please visit the MDOT website for instructions on filing a claim.