What are seasonal weight restrictions?

Road damage caused by heavy vehicles during winter and spring thawing periods is a problem that affects all northern states. Unless a roadway has been designed and constructed for heavy vehicle loads year-round and designated to be an all-season road, a significant loss of strength occurs during a seasonal thaw period.

The damage to a road is directly related to the amount and frequency of the loading applied. Michigan law provides that the months of March, April and May are automatically reduced loading months, but the statute also allows the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and county road commissions to implement those restrictions earlier, or suspend reduced loading, depending upon the weather and road conditions. For more information, please visit our Seasonal Weight Restriction page.

Most of the roadways in Washtenaw County are seasonally restricted.  For further information, please refer to the current WCRC Truck Operator’s Map or contact the Permits Clerk at (734) 327-6642 or [email protected].

Does WCRC issue oversize load permits during seasonal weight restrictions?

WCRC does not typically permit oversize loads (length or width) during seasonal weight restrictions when the roadways are susceptible to damage.  However, WCRC will review an oversize transportation permit (length/width but not overweight) if it is proposed on a county designated route that has adequate paved shoulders.  The proposed load shall not exceed the maximum allowable gross axle loading for the roadway.

Where can I learn if a road is public or private?

To identify whether a road is public or private, please view WCRC’s Certification Maps.

What are the necessary steps for organizing a parade or special event?

A permit from WCRC is required to temporarily close a road, or a portion of a road, for a parade, festival or similar activity. An authorized official of the township or municipality where the event is to be located must issue a resolution authorizing the temporary road closure before WCRC will issue a permit. To learn more about closing a road and view a sample township resolution, click here.

Why do I have to submit a transportation permit via Oxcart Permit Systems?

WCRC is partnering with Oxcart Permits Systems to process and issue all transportation permits electronically. Beginning January 3, 2018, all transportation permit applications must be submitted via oxcartpermits.com and WCRC will no longer process applications using the previous application forms.

This new process will speed up permit approvals and eliminate the tedious paper-oriented processes.  Oxcart will send online permit approvals to your inbox and approved permits can be downloaded to your computer or mobile device.  No software is required to be downloaded or installed. Oxcart is available wherever there is an internet connection. Dashboards, account management, and permit approvals can all be viewed in real-time.

If you have any additional questions about this change, please contact us at (734) 327-6642.