Traffic & Safety
Traffic & Safety Section handles a wide variety and quantity of
services for residents, local officials, and other road and
governmental agencies. In addition to their day-to-day duties,
these special services typically require a full evaluation by
staff, with each request taking up to two or three months to
complete. Their goal is to provide safe and efficient movement
of vehicle and pedestrian traffic on roads under the
jurisdiction of the Washtenaw County Road Commission.
The Traffic & Safety Section maintains 141 traffic
signals/flashing beacons at intersections under the jurisdiction
of the Road Commission and 56 under the jurisdiction of the
Michigan Department of Transportation. This section is also
responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining
approximately 30,000 traffic control signs throughout the
county, and maintaining approximately 2,000 miles of pavement
marking, including several legends and symbols.
- Detroit Edison - Community Lighting
- Detroit Edison's Community Lighting group designs, installs and maintains public lighting
- Michigan State Police - Speed Controls
- The basis for all speed controls is predicated upon the accepted principle that drivers are cautious and drive at speeds that are reasonable.
- MDOT - Work Zone Safety
- Information and statistics on work zone safety