Traffic & Safety
The Traffic & Safety Section handles a wide variety and quantity of services for residents, local officials, and other road and governmental agencies. In addition to their day-to-day duties, these special services typically require a full evaluation by staff, with each request taking up to two or three months to complete. Their goal is to provide safe and efficient movement of vehicle and pedestrian traffic on roads under the jurisdiction of the Washtenaw County Road Commission.
The Traffic & Safety Section maintains 141 traffic signals/flashing beacons at intersections under the jurisdiction of the Road Commission and 56 under the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Transportation. This section is also responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining approximately 30,000 traffic control signs throughout the county, and maintaining approximately 2,000 miles of pavement marking, including several legends and symbols.
- Detroit Edison - Community Lighting
- Detroit Edison's Community Lighting group designs, installs and maintains public lighting
- Michigan State Police - Speed Controls
- The basis for all speed controls is predicated upon the accepted principle that drivers are cautious and drive at speeds that are reasonable.
- MDOT - Work Zone Safety
- Information and statistics on work zone safety